To access the former website, please click here.

‘The State of Harmony’ 

On account of the peaceful relations that exist among its multicultural and diverse population of about 2.5 million people. Followers of the three great religious faiths to be found in Nigeria, Islam, Christianity, and traditional coexist within the State.

Kwara State is one of the 36 states that make up the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country. Kwara State shares her boundaries with the Republic of Benin at her West and the Niger River at her North.

The capital city of Kwara State, Ilorin, is situated 306km inland from the coastal town of Lagos and 500km from the federal capital, Abuja. Major towns include Ilorin, Offa, and Jebba, located on the Niger River. Other cities include Patigi, Erin-lIe, lIoffa, Adeleke Igbewere, Ejidongari, Osi, Lafiagi, Gure, Afon, Kaiama, Isanlu-lsin, Omu-Aran, Egbejila, lIota, Iponrin, and Igbaja.

History of Kwara State

1841

Kwara State was created in May 1967, as one of the first of 12 states to replace the nation’s four regions. Formerly the State was known as West Central State, but the name was changed to Kwara, a local name for the Niger River. The size of the State has been reduced over the years, as new states have been created within the federation. The total landmass of Kwara State today is 32 500 square kilometers.

1867

Kwara State is one of the 36 states that make up the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country. Kwara State shares her boundaries with the Republic of Benin at her West and the Niger River at her North.

1890

At its peak, the iron industry employed some 300 men. In 1890, production reached 12,305 tons of pig iron. Oswego was booming. It boasted a growing population, four general stores, a bank, two barber shops, two hotels, three churches, nine saloons, and Davidson’s drugstore. An opera house proved to be a profitable investment.

1905 - 1910

With the demise of the iron industry, Oregon Iron & Steel turned its attention to land development. It built a power plant on Oswego Creek from 1905 to 1909, and following the incorporation of the City of Oswego in 1910, sought permission to erect power poles to provide electricity to the community.

1930s

Paul Murphy developed the Oswego Lake Country Club to promote Oswego as a place to “live where you play.” By the 1930s, its growth as a year-round living environment was well underway. Murphy built the first water system to serve the west end of the city, and encouraged noted architects to design fine homes during the 1930s and 1940s.

1950s

Residential development around the perimeter of Oswego Lake accelerated in the 1940s and 1950s. With the annexation of part of Lake Grove to the west in 1960, the name of the city was changed to Lake Oswego. Today, Lake Oswego is considered one of the finest residential communities in Oregon.

Comments are closed.