ADDRESS BY HIS EXCELLENCY, ALHAJI (DR) ABDULFATAH AHMED, THE EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR OF KWARA STATE, AT THE INAUGURATION OF TRANSITION IMPLEMENTATION COMMITTEE ON THE HAND-OVER OF POWER TO THE NEWLY ELECTED GOVERNMENT IN KWARA STATE, ON TUESDAY, APRIL 09, 2019
About eight years ago, I received the overwhelming mandate of the people of Kwara state to serve as the 6th Executive Governor. Four years later, the people of Kwara State renewed that mandate which will run out in the next 51 days, precisely on Wednesday, May 29, 2019.
Today’s occasion, therefore demonstrates that whatever has a beginning must have an end.
It is in the spirit of strong belief in democratic ethics and practice that we designed this programme to pave the way for the smooth and successful hand-over to the new Government in Kwara State.
Permit me, Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, to thank the people of Kwara State both at home and in the diaspora for the support we recorded throughout our tenure. As we prepare to hand over the banner, I implore you to extend similar hands of cooperation and support to the incoming Government, so that Kwara can continue to toe the path of continuous development and progress.
I consider it expedient to mention with humility that in the last eight years, we submitted ourselves to and indeed served the people of Kwara State diligently and conscientiously. We served the people with all our energy, power, intellect and resourcefulness.
As you are aware, most of the eight years of our administration were marked by challenges in the national economy. Nevertheless, we leveraged our resourcefulness to modestly fulfil our pledge to uplift our people and our state while laying a solid foundation for its current and future sustenance.
Indeed, I make bold to state that we are leaving Kwara State better than we met it as we are bequeathing to it a legacy of service, peace and good governance.
Having done that, it is time for us to bow out, and we are doing so honourably, to the glory of the Almighty Allah (SAW).
Realising that the hand-over date is fast approaching, it has become imperative to put necessary machinery in place to facilitate easy take-over.
This exercise is equally to aid the new Government to settle down to governance quickly.
I am therefore pleased to inaugurate this Twenty-five-member Transition Implementation Committee to facilitate the process.
The Chairman and members of the Committee are:
• Alhaji Sola Isiaka Gold, S.S.G-Chairman
• Mrs Susan Modupe Oluwole, HOS-Member
• Alhaji Wahab Yusuf Baba, C.O.S-Member
• Barrister Kamaldeen Ajibade, SAN, Att.-Gen., & Honourable Commissioner for Justice-Member
• Hajia Balikis Oniyangi, Honourable Commissioner, Education & Human Capital Development-Member
• Engr. Demola Banu, Honourable Commissioner, Finance-Member
• Alhaji Aro Yahaya, Honourable Commissioner, Works and Transport -Member
• Alhaji Ishiak Mohammed Sabi, Honourable Commissioner, Information and Communication-Member
• Alhaji Eleja Taiwo Banu, Honourable Commissioner, Energy-Member
• Alhaji Usman Kolo Rifun, Honourable Commissioner, Health-Member
• Alhaji Ibrahim Kayode Adeyemi, Special Adviser, Govt House-Member
• Alhaji Suleiman Ishola, Accountant General, Kwara State-Member
• Professor Muritala Awodun, Executive. Chairman, KWiRS -Member
• Alhaji Toyin Olookoba Sulyman, Special Adviser, Political-Member
• Comrade Lambe Abdulkareem, Chairman, SUBEB-Member
• Prince Tunji Moronfoye, Special Adviser, Communication Strategy -Member
• Prof. Kenneth Adeyemi, Chairman, Harmony Holdings Ltd-Member
• Alhaji Salman Ibrahim: Director General, Bureau of Lands-Member
• Engr. Musa Yeketi, former Honourable Commissioner, Education and Human Capital Development -Member
• Dr Muyideen Akorede, Senior Special Assistant, Media and Communication-Member
• Alhaji Salman Adelodun Ibrahim, former Chairman, Civil Service Commission-Member
• Hon. Rasaq Ibrahim, Chairman, Teaching Service Commission-Member
• Alh Muritala Adisa Shehu, former Permanent Secretary, General Services-Member
• Elder David A. Adesina, mni, former Permanent Secretary, Political-Member
• Alh Tunde Shuaib Aremu, Permanent Secretary, Political, Cabinet and & Special Services-Secretary.
Specifically, the Terms of Reference (ToR) of the Transition Implementation Committee are to:
• put in place all necessary machinery for the smooth take-off of the in-coming Administration;
• ensure full liaison with all officially assigned representatives of the incoming Administration for the appropriate briefing on the activities of Government towards providing a solid footing for the new Government;
• any other matter the Committee may find worthy for the effective discharge of its mandate.
I congratulate the Chairman and members of the Kwara State Transition Implementation Committee on your well-deserved appointments.
I admonish you to bring to bear the sterling qualities that recommended your appointment in the discharge of your onerous responsibilities.
While I am confident that you will perform creditably, therefore, implore you to justify the confidence reposed in you by Government and the good people of Kwara State.
On this note, I now inaugurate the Kwara State Transition Implementation Committee to the glory of the Almighty God and for the successful hand-over of reins of Government to the newly-elected administration in Kwara State.
Thank you and God Bless.
Dr Abdulfatah Ahmed,
9th April 2019